Making Tandoori Chicken on a Microwave
After a few trials and errors, I finally nailed the recipe for delicious Tandoori Chicken. The idea was to make on a Microwave. The most important part in the process is the setting in the microwave oven. It turned out pretty cool. So here is the recipe:
Preparing the Chicken:
- Bring 1 whole chicken cut into 4 pieces.
- Remove all excess fat that you can see on the surface.
- Wash and pat-dry
- Make long gashes and cuts on the chicken using a knife for the marinade to seep in easily.
The chicken has to be marinated in 2 phases. Phase I is for 1 hour and Phase II is for 4 hours.
Marination Phase I:
- Red Chilli Powder (Generous amount). I recommend ‘Everest Kashmiri Lal’ for the natural red colour.
- Lemon Juice – 1 whole lemon. Add as much as you can to get a think paste consistency
- Salt – Add 1 teaspoon now. We’ll add more in the next marination.
Create a think marinade paste and apply it well on the chicken. Make sure it reaches inside the deep gashes that you made. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
Marination Phase II:
- Hung Curd – 1/2 cup
- Red chilli Powder – 1-2 table spoon
- Coriander Powder – 1 table spoon
- Cumin Powder – 1 table spoon
- Salt – 1-2 table spoon
- Kasoori Methi – 1/2 table spoon
- Lemon Juice – 2-3 table spoon
Mix the marinade well and apply evenly on the chicken. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours.
- Take the chicken out of fridge and mix some mustard oil (1-2 table spoon) for flavour. Keep aside for 30 minutes.
- Use microwave grill and place all the pieces of chicken on it.
- Use convection mode and cook in 180 degrees for 30 minutes – this cooks and tenderized the chicken.’
- Use grill mode and cook for 15 minutes.
- Turn the pieces so that the other side faces the grill and repeat step 4 till crisp.
Pudina (Mint) Chutney dip:
Tandoori chicken is best served with Mint Chutney. To make the same, mix and grind the following ingredients:
- Handful of Mint Leaves
- Handful of Coriander leaves
- Curd – 3 table spoons
- Green Chillies – 2 whole
- Salt – 1 tablespoon
Sprinkle Chaat masala and chopped coriander and serve with Pudina Chutney and Lemon Wedges.
Let me know if you loved it 🙂